Hypertension Information for Patients:
Hypertension is essentially increased blood pressure. Normal blood pressure is 120/80 mm of Hg. This is a highly common condition in adult population especially those over the age of 40. This is a condition where heart pumps the blood against the walls of the narrowed arteries. Although there are other risk factors, modern lifestyle is a major reason behind the high prevalence of this condition.
Following factors are responsible for high prevalence of this condition:
- Limited physical activity and lack of exercise
- Consumption of alcohol
- Tobacco use
- Dietary factors: consumption of food with high sodium content
- Mental stress
Apart from the lifestyle factors mentioned above, there are other risk factors responsible for hypertension:
- Age: chances of developing hypertension go up with age
- Family history: If parents, grandparents or siblings had/have this condition, there is a higher chance that you will have this condition as well
- Obesity/overweight: Heart must supply blood to the entire body. Hence obesity is a leading cause.
- Vit D deficiency
- Feeling of pressure on chest
- Blurry vision
If you experience any of the above symptoms or have any of the above-mentioned risk factors, please visit a physician and get your blood pressure checked. Avoid having caffeinated drinks before that visit.
As always, it is important to avoid the lifestyle factors that are responsible for developing hypertension. Prevention is the key. Following things would help you in preventing hypertension:
- Follow healthy dietary habits
- Avoid mental stress
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco consumption
- Avoid excessive salt intake and consumption of processed foods
- Exercise regularly
- Visit your physician at least once every year and check your blood pressure.